libsane has to depend on libsane-extras ?

Hi, I hope I'm posting to the right list about this subject.

When trying to get working my Epson scanner which is only supported by the iscan driver, I find out that on Debian Lenny libsane depends on libsane-extras, and libsane-extras is getting in the way of iscan install (they are both providing /usr/lib/sane/libsane-epkowa.so.1 ).

I did the install on Ubuntu Hardy Heron 64 (requires to do a custom compil of iscan which isn't available as a .deb and even less for 64bit) and had no problem. But when trying to do the same on Lenny 64 I ran into this issue and wondered why libsane-extras has to be dragged along with libsane since most of the time it's not really required.

I got the issue worked-around by creating a .deb of iscan and "dpkg -i --force-overwrite" it, but it's dirty, apt is going to complain on next libsane-extras update and possibly break everything.

Can someone enlighten me about the necessity of libsane-extras when "extras" should only be that ?

Thanks,

Tom