[Rivendell] Re: [Audacity-devel] Problem with libsoundtouch

Hello all,

Last Friday I finally got access to the debian multimedia repository and I am
trying to get the "soundtouch" problem with audacity in debian,ubuntu
put down ( http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=459198 ).

Bob, I apologize, you were correct in that libsoundtouch-dev is installed and
not getting detected correctly.  Lib soundtouch is correctly a build
dependency of Audacity... unfortunately it seems that pkg-config is not
correctly detecting the soundtouch library on debian,ubuntu systems.

The challenge appears to be that debian (not sure about ubuntu,
packages.ubuntu.com is not responding for me right now) has soundtouch 1.3.0
for all versions (stable, testing, unstable) ... they are "looking" into
updating, but that's still slowly moving along (
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=462643 ).

With the upstream 1.3.0 package of soundtouch there is no default pkg-config
file, so debian added one called "libSoundTouch" .   The problem is audacity
is looking for "soundtouch" and thus not finding the debian pkg-config info.

Upstream, 1.3.1 of soundtouch appears to generate a pkg-config with name
"soundtouch-1.0.pc"

    # from soundtouch 1.3.1 Makefile.am
    pkgconfigdir = $(libdir)/pkgconfig
    pkgconfig_DATA = soundtouch-1.0.pc

What should the correct approach be to settle this confusion ...
    1) should the debian package have a local patch looking for "whatever it's
    soundtouch is" (likely emulated by ubuntu)?

    2) should audacity acinclude.m4 check for various pkg-config names (ex:
    soundtouch, soundtouch-1.0, libSoundTouch)

    3) is there another better solution?

thanks,
donfede

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 10:42:31AM -0700, Bob van der Poel wrote:

> Okay, my head is starting to spin. Just too many places to look for bug
> reports :) I did do a search on the audacity wiki for the problem and
> didn't find anything definitive. Oh well.
>
> However, I must note that libsoundtouch-dev IS installed on my system:
>
> bob$ sudo apt-get install libsoundtouch-dev
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Note, selecting libsoundtouch1-dev instead of libsoundtouch-dev
> libsoundtouch1-dev is already the newest version.
>
> So, perhaps when I upgrade off of Fiesty the problem will be solved.
>
> I'm sticking with 1.3.3 for now. I find that 1.3.4 takes over 5 seconds
> to boot on my system (2meg RAM AMD X2 4800+) and it seems to have
> problems playing some of my projects (to the point of the a complete
> hangup. I have tried compiling with and without jack installed, so I
> don't think that is the cause. Guess I'll wait for the next beta before
> leaving 1.3.3 behind.
>
> Federico Grau wrote:
> > Bob, this is a known problem with the ubuntu (and debian package), with a bug
> > report and all.  The solution is listed in the bug, but I'm not sure how to
> > get the ubuntu wheels turning to get it fixed (which is a pity because hardy
> > is in beta now).
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/audacity/+bug/193593
> >

> > I am also working with the debian folks (trying to get onto their multimedia
> > team which maintains the audacity package) to make the same fix there.
> >

> > The packages now require a build dependency on libsoundtouch, so if you
> > install the libsoundtouch-dev package you should be ok (no need to copy from
> > the last version of audacity).
> >

> > donfede
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 07:23:40PM -0700, Bob van der Poel wrote:
> >> I've had some problems compiling 1.3.4 on my Ubuntu Fiesty box. Problem
> >> is that soundtouch isn't being found, and the local lib has been deleted
> >> from the src tree.
> >>
> >> I _think_ that the pkg_config stuff might be broken. On my box I have
> >> the file /usr/lib/pkgconfig/libSoundTouch.pc but I think that the config
> >> is looking for soundtouch (case problem??? I don't know much about
> >> pkg_congfig so could be just about anything!).
> >>
> >> Without soundtouch one loses the pitch/rate change options.
> >>
> >> I copied the lib-src/soundtouch from 1.3.3 to my 1.3.4 and that _seems_
> >> to fix things.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob van der Poel ** Wynndel, British Columbia, CANADA **
> >> EMAIL: bob@mellowood.ca
> >> WWW:   http://www.mellowood.ca

> --
> Bob van der Poel ** Wynndel, British Columbia, CANADA **
> EMAIL: bob@mellowood.ca
> WWW:   http://www.mellowood.ca

Federico Grau
Free Software Developer and Sysadmin
Radio Free Asia
2025 M Street, NW
Suite 300
Washington, DC  20036
202-587-2046  Telephone
202-721-7468  Facsimile
CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION
This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the addressee and may
contain information that is privileged and confidential.  Any unauthorized
dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly prohibited.  If you
receive this transmission in error, please contact network@rfa.org.