ALSA sound problem with snd_hda_intel; "Invalid value for card"

I have recently installed Debian Etch for AMD64 on my ASUS laptop,
and I have a sound problem.  The appropriate ALSA driver module is
loaded, but I see an error message when I start applications using
audio output:

ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1357:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card

I had the same problem with Ubuntu Feisty, for what it is worth.
The strange thing with Ubuntu was that this fault was a regression
that occured after a recommended kernel upgrade.

I have tried Googling for explanations of what this problems is,
but I did not find anything promising or clarifying.

Any ideas?

(fwiw; I got myself a flimsy USB headset, as a workaround)

--
Herman Robak