Re: RM omins, om, vcf

Joost Yervante Damad wrote:
On Saturday 13 October 2007 13:57:35 you wrote:
Joost Yervante Damad wrote:
Hello all,

I'm going to ask request removal for the following packages:

1) om

Reason: abandoned by upstream in favor of "ingen:
Can 'om' be turned into a dummy upgrade package -> ingen? As was done
with rosegarden4 -> rosegarden transition? And please can it include the
proper menu icons, which are now available upstream?

Probably, but ingen is not packaged, and I don't plan on doing it as I'm slowly preparing my retreat out of the debian-multimedia team, because I prefer focussing on packages I actually use.
Fair enough, but if that is the case, I think it would be a better idea to put out an RFP on ingen and leave the om-synth packages in the repository for now, especially if om isn't actually broken (?). I suspect the Debian package isn't in great shape and I understand your reasons for wanting to remove it. I understood ingen was just om renamed, which means there is a potential upgrade path available. I am well aware that the Debian ethos is to drop unmaintained packages and I'm not about to offer to package it myself either right now, however I can offer my documentation skills etc if that would encourage someone else to take it on. We are short of decent soft-synths in Debian and I think ingen may be worth persevering with.

So far I have been unsuccessful in running om in order to test it. Can anyone else confirm its brokenness or otherwise from personal experience?

cheers,

tim