Re: LinuxSampler?

Daniel James escribe:
> The LinuxSampler developers were concerned that a hardware company would
> take their GPL'd code and put it into a proprietary product,
> disrespecting the licence. (A very valid concern, in my view). They
> therefore floated the idea that a future version of the software would
> have a GPL exception, which asked that commercial distributors contact
> the original developers for permission before shipping the code.

A valid concern, probably, but one anybody developing GPL code could
have!

> Some people over-reacted (in my opinion) to this proposed change, and
> said that they would no longer distribute or contribute to the
> LinuxSampler code. Some people were under the impression that
> LinuxSampler was no longer GPL'd, or had become proprietary - but I see
> no evidence for that.

I would see no problem on that. Even although new code was not GPL,
existing code would have to continue being GPL. So it would take not
much time for a fork to take place.

> In the meantime, at least one LinuxSampler developer has been working on
> the code, on behalf of the Italian company Lionstracs, which makes
> GNU/Linux-based keyboard instruments. (We also did some work at 64
> Studio for this company). We ship LinuxSampler 0.3.3 and the qsampler
> GUI front-end 0.1.3 in 64 Studio, which are both under GPL.

Talking about 64 Studio: I think I subscribed to the mailing list and
I reported there a problem while installing it. Since then I've seen
no activity in the mailing list. Zero messages. Is it like this or
simply I have subscribed incorrectly?

I moderate a spanish forum on Linux audio and people there love 64
Studio, even although there's Musix and their developers talk spanish!
So I find a bit sad 64 Studio community is not more active.

> I see no reason at all why version 0.4.0 should not be in Debian
> non-free.

I don't see it either.

Cordially, Ismael
--
Ismael Valladolid Torres  m. +34679156321
La media hostia           j. ivalladt@gmail.com

http://lamediahostia.blogspot.com/