Re: alsa + jack + ladspa + dssi + lash + ...

On Saturday 14 January 2006 13:17, Eduardo Marcel Maçan was like:
> Besides doing some work with multimedia packages in debian (zynaddsubfx
> and specimen mostly) I also use Debian in a music/multimedia project of
> mine (called crosstalk http://www.crosstalkmedia.net, sorry, it's all in
> portuguese by now, but the podcast might be enjoyable for all).
>
> We're about to start doing live gigs regularly and we're in desperate
> need of session handling. Since we started using shell scripts to
> set up the midi and jack connections and starting the applications in
> the correct order for us, we could do some small presentations and
> it mostly worked, but now we're getting bigger and need to switch
> between songs (which frequently use different setups) quickly... It's
> becoming really hard to coordinate, and since one of the members is not
> a free software geek (he's a graphics designer and amateur musician)
> it should be easy for him if we want to use free software.
>
> Without session handling and proper integration all this cool software
> loses pratical usability, I thought lash was already part of debian
> and was thinking of modifying zynaddsubfx and specimen to work with
> it, Debian has already pushed standards in the past, I think we
> should take this step on the multimedia front, who cares it will take
> us one year to have all this accepted/adopted upstream? Does someone
> believe the next stable release of Debian will happen before that? ;)
>
> It's a good oportunity to give the "multimedia task force" the
> motivation and purpose it needs

Hmm, now you come to mention it, there is no 'lash' package anywhere in Debian
stable, testing or DeMuDi as far as I can see. They are all still referred to
by the 'old' name of ladcca. Ladcca2 and ladccad are available from the
DeMuDi repositories.

When you talk of the 'multimedia task force' who do you refer to? DeMuDi
already has plenty of motivation and purpose and the integration is very
good, most packages work out of the box. What I find confusing is that for
some people there seems to be a separation between Debian multimedia and
DeMuDi in their minds, which might account for people not finding what they
are looking for. ;)

See Debian policy on multimedia thread.
--
cheers,