Re: [Portaudio] Re: portaudio in Debian, license updates?

On Monday 20 February 2006 04:51, Bjorn Roche was like:
> My
> app runs on Linux and definately has trouble with PA/ALSA, so I'd like to
> work on that as well, though, to be honest, I am a bit baffled by ALSA. If
> PA gets into Debian, I really think that will help, as more people would
> hear about it, see it, use it, and, presumably, tell the developers what
> isn't working.

Yes.

I'm very happy to test any audio stuff, however, being a rather slack late
beta-tester I have to wait until packages trickle through into the DeMuDi
repositories before I can work with them. My rationale is that studios tend
to want stable software, like servers do. I still have vague hopes that Open
Music may yet be got to work under Debian.

If PA could be made to work with ALSA, I think it would encourage Linux Audio
Developers to look at it afresh. ALSA/JACK has become the standard for
serious, professional quality Audio in Linux, which is also the category
PortAudio should be in. The LAD/LAU community are likely to be supportive of
such a move and it would bring PA into the frame (Purely MO). My fear is that
anything you can't sync straight up to Ardour, using JACKd could prove an
annoying waste of time. <PBO>When you're in the creative flow, this has to
all Just Work</PBO>.

As soon as there is a package that reportbug can recognise, I'm sure you'll
get plenty of feedback from Debian. ;)
--
cheers,

tim hall