Re: no sound intel 915 chipset

On Sunday 11 December 2005 19:58, Cameron Metzke was like:
> I just installed sarge 3.1 yesterday and for the life of me i cant get any
> audio happening. i'm on an intel 915 and have read about this being a
> problem.
> These are the steps i have taken to get the sound working
> 1) downloaded and installed the 2.6.12 kernal which apparently has alsa
> in-built
> After i did this and rebooted my speakers now crackle when the sound module
> loads "snd_hda_intel", but when i get to gnome i couldnt raise the sound
> control (it just went straight back down). I also tried it within the
> mulitmedia menu via the "volume control" but got an error similar to "could
> not find mixer elements and or device"
> 2) downloaded the alsa-base via syaptic. (1.10) Now i can raise the volume
> control in gnome and it will stay where i leave it. Also i can open the
> volume control in multimedia, which i did and promptly raised everything
> "UP" as everything was either muted or at the lowest setting.
> 3) tried  modprobe snd_hda_intel , apparently this makes sure the module is
> fully loaded.

Have you re-run alsaconf?
http://alsa.opensrc.org/
is a good source of information. In particular, I recommend using
http://alsa.opensrc.org/aadebug
for debugging purposes.
Doesn't sound like you're far off the mark. :)
--
cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk/tim