alsaplayer vs aplay

Greetings;

I am running the 2.6.3 kernel with emu10k1 support built in. I have a Sound Blaster Live! card in my system that I wanted to play with. It looks like the kernel deals with the
hardware just fine.  From dmesg, I get the following:

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.2c (Thu Feb 05 15:41:49 2004 UTC).
ALSA device list:
#0: Sound Blaster Live! (rev.7) at 0x1400, irq 16

lspci  shows the card as:

00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 07) 00:08.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game Port (rev 07)

If I use "aplay sound.wav" I can hear the speakers just fine.
Playing WAVE 'sound.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 11025 Hz, Mono

When I try "alsaplayer sound.wav", I get the following errors:
Failed to load output plugin "alsa". Trying defaults.
error opening /dev/dsp
Failed to initialize plugin!
/usr/lib/alsaplayer/output/liboss_out.so failed to load
NOTE: THIS IS THE NULL PLUGIN.      YOU WILL NOT HEAR SOUND!!

Is this a packaging problem? Should I file a bug on alsaplayer? The hardware is fine and aplay works. Please CC me on any replys since I am not subscribed. I only have a little time I can play with this and this could just be a Gnome configuration issue for
all I know.  I tried XMMS too and it gave me a different message.

** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp): No such device

Richard