digital camera question

Now, using Debian testing, with kernel 2.4.25-1-386, have installed gphoto,
(and the front end gtkam).
So I run gtkam and it will detect my camera, however there is an error:

Could not initialize camera.

If I try and use kde control center >peripherals >digital camera:

Unable to initialize camera. Check your port settings and camera connectivity
and try again.

My USB printer/scanner and USB mouse work fine.
I have searched, and searched, and the best I can come up with is USB
permissions, or needing SCSI emulation.

I know this can work, because it works in Mandrake.
Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks.