how to get alsa to send info out my TOSlink port

Hi list!

I'm using 2.6.3 kernel, debian sid and a sound blaster audigy card with the add on box that uses a cdrom slot and has a fiber optic (TOS-link) output. When I was running a knoppix (sarge/sid) distro with the 2.4 kernel, I was able to get musical information sent out the tos-link, but now that I'm running a pure sid distro, Alsa doesn't seem to send any information out the port. I know the hardware is fine, because if i boot from a knoppix 3.3 cd, the toslink works again. Sound works using the small output from the card itself in the back of the machine, and from the headphone output from the breakout box in the front, but not the TOS-link.

Any suggestions? I'm not too proficient with alsa to be honest, and I'd bet it's something as simple as a configuration file.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance, if any more information is needed, I"d be happy to supply it.

jaz