Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: RFC: EXP merge of OSX portability work

Hello!

[Tue, 23 Mar 2004] Jack O'Quin wrote:
> > it works after building it in the cvs checkout dir and then doing make
> > dist.
>
> I always run `make' before `make dist' or `make distcheck'.  I do that
> to ensure that all distributed files are up-to-date.  This is what the
> "Goat Book" (_GNU Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool_) recommends.

But the files distributed in CVS should ba up-to-date as well ;-]

> Is that a problem for Debian packaging?  Normally, we provide the
> `*.orig.tar.gz' file.  This is mainly an issue of building from CVS.

No. It's not a problem for Debian.

> I'll commit this patch and the one below as 0.195.16.  If we do this,
> I guess I could delete the cpu/i386 directory, entirely.  But, I'll
> wait a while before doing anything like that.
>
> The 0.195.x version is a hack to keep it distinct from the current CVS
> HEAD.  If we go ahead with this merge, it will become 0.96.0.

Yes. We could upload that package to experimental. But we would have to
reversion it because of 0.195 > 0.96. BTW: Be warned: If you install the
packages with version 0.195, you will have to force a "downgrade"
(version-wise), afterwards if you want to go back to 0.94 or upgrade to 0.96.

> What does config.guess return for those two?  I suspect the CPU names
> are `ia64' and `s390'.  Looks like there's a bug in my configure.host

I don't know of hand. You can browse some build-logs on
buildd.debian.org and see what happens with other packages.

> logic, (libstdc++ runs that script in a different directory).

[Tue, 23 Mar 2004] Jack O'Quin wrote:
> I looked at cpu/generic/atomicity.h.  It's completely broken at the
> moment.  There are missing header files that will take me a while to
> sort out.
>
> At the same time, I noticed a missing header file in the cpu/ia64
> directory.  I'm including it in my next commit.  Here's a patch, if
> you don't want to wait on CVS.
>
> With that patch, I think both ia64 and s390 should build.

I will try today or tomorrow.

Another thing. If we could agree on another version that passes the
test, I would upload JACK to experimental and let a wider audience test
and maybe build it on other architectures.

Something like this would be fine:

dpkg --compare-versions 0.95exp.16 '>>' 0.94.0 && echo true
true

        Robert.

--
QOTD:
	How can I miss you if you won't go away?