Re: [a-users] AGNULA/DeMuDi Menu Icon Guidelines

|--==> tim hall writes:

  th> Re: A/DeMuDi bugs:
  th> [ #909 ] ICONS for all sound apps
  th> [ #504 ] Icons are missing in KDE menu items

  th> My hunt for a solution to this particular issue has led me thus far:

  th> This is an open posting that I'm preparing to send to all maintainers of the
  th> remaining packages that don't appear to have icons. Please could you let me
  th> know if I have my facts right. ;-]

Tim, I  think   this  is a  good  start.   Note that   I'm  among  the
command-line-addicted ones,  but  I consider  the  issue  important as
well, and I hope other maintainers will be as sensitive.

Typically Debian policy changes are   hard to achieve, but this   case
definitely worth the  effort. Moreover  the   task could be   possibly
easier because there's a separate  document  for the menu policy  than
the general one:

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s-menus
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/menu-policy/

We may want to involve debian-devel@l.d.o in this discussion.

  th> ----

  th> """
  th> Many people have never been happy with the icons provided by debian.
  th> There are not enough of them, they are inconsistent in style, and the
  th> low resolution and limited colors make them look like escapees from
  th> 1989. Lots of users don't bother with them.

  th> Debian needs a consistent policy on where icons go - the icon policy is still
  th> "something to be addressed" in future Policy weeklys; however, the
  th> few policy weeklys published since then don't seem to address it at
  th> all.
  th> """

  th> These guidelines are my attempt to address it from the perspective of
  th> AGNULA/DeMuDi. They are based on Debian Policy with a view to incorporating
  th> freedesktop.org standards. I am only focussing on achieving coherence amongst
  th> multimedia applications here.

  th> ----

  th> Please, make sure the icons you specify are always available on the system.
  th> So, if you want to have an icon with your menu entry, the preferred method is
  th> to supply the icon with that package. Also, to prevent the distribution of
  th> icons files to turn too much into a mess, please put all icon files in the
  th> directory /usr/share/pixmaps - It's all static shareable
  th> architecture-independent data.

Ok. I'd add that the icon file name should be:

/usr/share/pixmaps/<package>.xpm

in case of a single icon or

/usr/share/pixmaps/<package>-<icon0>.xpm
/usr/share/pixmaps/<package>-<icon1>.xpm
..
/usr/share/pixmaps/<package>-<iconN>.xpm

in  case   of  multiple ones,  where  iconX  is   an  arbitrary string
characterising the icon.

  th> The use of /usr/X11R6/include/X11/pixmaps/ for .XPMs seems to be deprecated,
  th> but some packages still use it. KDE keeps its icons (mostly .PNGs) in a
  th> sorted-by-theme tree based at /usr/share/icons. Most other WMs read .XPMs out
  th> of /usr/share/pixmaps this latter is the standard.

Yes, that's true.

  th> A package should provide a menu file /usr/lib/menu/<package-name> that
  th> contains information about each program it likes to make available in the
  th> menus.

  th> 	?package(ecasound2.2):needs=text section=Apps/Sound\
  th>   	title="ecasound2.2" command="/usr/bin/ecasound -c" \
  th> 	icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/ecasound.xpm" \
  th> 	icon16x16="/usr/share/pixmaps/eca_16.xpm" \
  th> 	icon32x32="/usr/share/pixmaps/eca_32.xpm"

Ok, this  already done by most  of the packages  though,  at least the
sound related ones.

  th> You may also want to include a .desktop file using the freedesktop.org defined
  th> Desktop Entry Standard. I don't know enough about this yet.

  th> 1.   The icons should be in XPM format. Icons may also be provided in .PNG
  th> format for future compatibility with freedesktop.org standards.

Yes, XPM is widely used as icon format, I think would should push on it.

  th> 2.   The icons (.XPMs) may not be larger than 32x32 pixels, although smaller
  th> sizes are ok. 48x48 or even larger may be acceptable for .PNGs. This
  th> restriction applies only to icons referenced
  th> from /usr/lib/menu/<package-name> for application menus. KDE and GNOME seem
  th> to use 16x16 icons which requires an icon16x16 entry in the
  th> package's /usr/lib/menu file. You can provide both 16x16 and 32x32 pixels
  th> icons using the variables icon16x16 and icon32x32 so that the user can
  th> configure menu to use one or the other.

  th> 3.   The background area of the icon should be transparent, if possible.

  th> ----

  th> Additionally:

  th> Apparently it's also possible to specify an icon for a sub-menu. However, if
  th> each package would supply its own icons for the sub menus we can never be
  th> sure that the icon files are available. Thus, only the menu package is
  th> allowed to specify icons for sub menus. The syntax for this is:

  th>        X11 Apps menu/apps /usr/share/pixmaps/icon.xpm "Editors"

  th> I'm not sure of the location of this file? Any guesses?

Making menu authoritative for sub-menus icons is a good idea IMO.  I'd
suggest to use:

/usr/lib/menu/menu

to hold such information:

?package(menu):needs="X11" section="Apps/Sound" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/icon.xpm"

  th> The other problem specific to A/DeMuDi is that having an independent top-level
  th> 'Sound' or 'Audio' menu section breaks Debian Menu Policy.

  th> I have designed a set of generic sound-application group icons, which could be
  th> used more widely, especially if I were to convert them to .XPMs and knew
  th> where we should put the configuration file and preferably which upstream
  th> package they should be included in (currently demudi-artwork).

The demudi-artwork  package  was growing  to much,   I've split  it in
several packages. There relevant one is demudi-pixmaps.

  th> These can
  th> currently be found in (surprise!) /usr/share/pixmaps/ as .PNGs and may be
  th> freely used (of course) by maintainers who do not wish to design their own,
  th> for whatever reason.

I've converted them to .xpm, see:

http://demudi.alioth.debian.org/browser/demudi-pixmaps/trunk/

(hope it works, alioth is having problems in this period)

  th> I'd value any thoughts you all might have on the matter.

Keep it on!

Cheers,

Free