Re: FW: jackd/ audio apps mini policy

guenter geiger <geiger@xdv.org> writes:

> I just wanted to suggest a possible solution to the problem:

> I am just wondering if mlockall(MCL_CURRENT) is possible without
> CAP_SYS_RESOURCE, because its potentially less dangerous than MCL_FUTURE.

Are you suggesting that the need for CAP_SYS_RESOURCE is caused by the
use of MCL_FUTURE?  That seems plausible, although I see no sign of it
in the 2.4.19 kernel sources for my system.

The JACK server still has to allocate additional storage after the
initial call to mlockall().  We either have to mlock() each block when
it is allocated (error-prone), or use MCL_FUTURE.

In either case, the same amount of memory gets locked.  The only
difference is whether it gets done reliably.
--
  joq