Re: Debian and Zapping recording

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Andrea Glorioso wrote:

>     emm> That is probably going away when ALSA + JACK becomes the
>     emm> standard, I think we should start to help their adoption by
>     emm> the upstream authors of the sound software we use...
>
> This is not always as simple as it might seem, as JACK per se imposes
> quite a different approach to audio applications, which are normally
> blocking I/O based.
>
> libjackasyn by Guenter allows `legacy' audio applications to use Jack
> via a LD_PRELOAD trick (Guenter, corrects me if I'm wrong).

Yes, thats correct. You have to start jack with a samplerate of
44100 (libjackasyn does not do samplerate conversion yet):

jackd -d alsa -d hw -r 44100

and esd with the jacklaunch command:

jacklaunch esd

> Besides, latest ALSA versions have started working on a Jack driver so
> that in theory you could connect ALSA output to Jack (I haven't tested
> it, so again Guenter or anybody who actually is more knowledgeable
> than me should beat me on the head).

Yes, but it doen't work full duplex yet, which is a major obstacle for
most applications. aplay works fine, though.

Guenter