Re: FW: jackd/ audio apps mini policy

On 7 Nov 2003, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> Zenaan Harkness <zen@aaroncommercial.com> writes:
>
> > From: Matthias Urlichs

> > > For good reason. The resource in question is physical memory. You could
> > > lock all the free memory with this program (thereby condemning it to swap
> > > death) if you're not VERY careful.
>
> Who is Matthias Urlichs?  Has he not been following this discussion?
>
> Is he able to do anything about this mess?  How can we contact him?

>From reading these comments and taking a look at the mlockall call and
how it is used in jack, I understand that this might really be
very dangerous ... mlockall (MCL_CURRENT | MCL_FUTURE)

anyone tried without CAP_SYS_RESOURCE , memory preallocation (I think this
would mean a maximum amount of jack clients) and without the "MCL_FUTURE".

Seems that the MCL_FUTURE would take up all memory and never give it free
at some point, hence it needs higher privileges.
(just a guess, ... again ...)
As it is now a user can lock up the machine by introducing (lots?) of
clients.

Guenter