Re: jack 0.80.0

Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> writes:

> > Yes, you are right, theoretically we should test other architetures
> > too. An important one is powerPC, anyone has experience with jack on
> > PowerPC ?
>
> Currently jack probably runs on MacOSX, but probably not on Debian PPC;
> we'll probably need to separate things out so that code for
> PPC Linux and PPC MacOSX is separated clearly.

Stephane Letz <letz@grame.fr> did the MacOSX port.  There are at least
a few additional changes needed for 0.80.0 to work on MacOSX.  AFAICT,
they are all MacOSX-dependent, not PowerPC-dependent.  Very few of his
changes are processor-dependent.  This work is awaiting Stephane's
availability.

> I suspect some code that are #ifdef __powerpc__ could be specific to
> MacOSX.

I think you're right, and I am interested in clarifying anything that
is machine dependent as opposed to system dependent.  Stephane is
generally careful to use...

  #if defined(__APPLE__) && defined(__POWERPC__)

around his changes.  The `#else' clause contains the Linux version for
all architectures.

JACK *should* support Linux PowerPC without much work.  It might even
work already, given an ALSA-supported sound device.  If someone wants
to test it, I will gladly accept bug reports and provide patches.  If
I had a PowerPC machine, I'd do it myself.

Regards,
--
  Jack O'Quin
  Austin, Texas, USA