Re: Debian and Zapping recording

On Sun, 3 Aug 2003, Christian Marillat wrote:
> guenter geiger <geiger@xdv.org> writes:
>
> > On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, Christian Marillat wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >> Execpt if ftpmasters are blind, my packages are still in the queue and
> >> thus ftpmasters see these packages everyday.
> >>

> > for 2 years ?
> > Are there any problems with the package that you know of that might hold
> > it up that long ?
>
> As I said I don't know. I did an ITP (see bug 112699) and an upload.

yes, I see. Shouldn't the ftp administrators give an explanation at least
why they don't accept it ... ?
Maybe we should bring up the topic on debian-devel. Are there any
problems that are involved  ? I can't believe that it just gets overlooked
.., so before starting a discussion on this I would really like to know
what I get into.

> >> No and never.
> >
> > Why ?
>
> Licence problems. See the last thread related to mplayer on debian-legal

Well, reading this thread it looks like someone did an upload of
mplayer.
Legal issues with mplayer are really vague.
I have been trying to find out why mplayer can not be included based on
discussions on Debian mailing lists, I must say that it is not really
easy to find out why.

I have been talking with people from the FSF about this topic too,
... noone was able to tell me why mplayer can't go into Debian.

I would be happy if you could point me to the relevant discussion
directly (I am sick of reading discussions about mplayer implementation
details, and if the authors are nice or not)

Greetings,

Guenter