Re: libdvdread does not find libdvdcss

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003, marsu@gmx.net wrote:

> I installed
> libdvdcss0.0.03.ogle3 there were no complains any more when accesssing
> dvd but dvd navigation still does not seem to work.

   Which program are you using? I suggest you double-check with VLC
(the videolan.org APT repository is for woody).

> My question is if I need to change
> to libdvdread3 (where I actually do not exactly know how to update because
> when
> I installed libdvdread3 it got installed next to libdvdread2 but still
> access
> to dvd was not possible for instance in dvd::rip). Or is there a way to tell
> libdvdread2 to look for libdvdcss.so.2?

   Installing libdvdread3 will not help because your DVD reading software
will still use libdvdread2. And the symlink trick will do no good because
libdvdread3 and libdvdread2 are not compatible (they have the same API
but the internal ABI changed a bit).

   What would probably work is build sid's libdvdread2 on a woody
system using apt-get source and debuild. There may even be backports
of libdvdread2 somewhere. Anyway, if your problems are due to the
libdvdread / libdvdcss interaction, I strongly suggest you upgrade
libdvdread and not downgrade libdvdcss.

Regards,
--
Sam.