mplayer, mencoder and converting of AVI's

Hello,

for one week a had my daughter at me, and she has the problem, that
she can not see VCD on her IBM Thinkpad 760ED (233 MHz MMX with 128MB).

The AVI files are 576x432/12Bit with an Audio stream of 128 kBit/s and
an video stream of 146 kByte/s.

Now I have tried to make the video smaller: 288x216/12 but it does not
work correctly.

The audio is every time faster as the video...

Can anyone Help me to make videos running under a P200MMX ?

Note:   My daughter is running WOODY release 1 and has an experience
        of two years (SLINK and WOODY) under console and X (fvwm2).

        So I do not like to make the job for her ;-))
        She can do it for her self !!!
        (Converting 637 MByte to a smal one requires around 5 hours
        converting on a P200 which can be done in the night)

Thanks
Michelle