httpredir.debian.org retired snd moved to fastly or is it an alternative service ?

Dear all,

Thank you to the team for providing such a fantastic service over hte
years. I was sort of bemused when saw that httpredir.debian.org was
not giving any correct output.

Hunting around came to http://cdn-fastly.deb.debian.org/

I also saw a small discussion at
https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comments/69z49p/sources_list_httpredirdebianorg_now_redirects_to/

The only comments I saw on the list are on
https://lists.debian.org/debian-mirrors/2017/04/msg00000.html and then
https://lists.debian.org/debian-mirrors/2018/02/msg00000.html which
basically comments that httpredir.debian.org is now dead/retired but
doesn't tell/give any reasons to figure out why that happened.

I saw an interesting comment by lamby/Chris Lamb the current DPL at
https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comments/69z49p/sources_list_httpredirdebianorg_now_redirects_to/
as well as the homepage of http://cdn-fastly.deb.debian.org/

I also put up the query at
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/429928/are-http-cdn-fastly-deb-debian-org-and-deb-debian-org-one-and-the-same-servic

So there are few questions -

a. Is the fastly service one and the same just having different url's ?

b. From what little I know of debian, they are constantly dog-fooding
then why the move to a sort of commercial platform.

I did see an interesting comparison at
https://blog.latency.at/2017-09-06-cdn-comparison/  but that's outside
the topic we are discussing.

I guess all of this info. has been shared somewhere but in the vast
lists.debian.org infrastructure it probably is not easy to find.

Look forward to knowing more.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल