Re: bandwidth and space required to sync a basic mirror

On Tue, 03 Jun 2014, anarcat wrote:
> One of the things I am wondering is if it is worthwhile to keep a
> private mirror running for clusters that have lots of machines and want
> to spare the bandwidth costs yet do not want to offer the public hosting
> commitment...

Well, the bandwidth requirements to keep a *stable* mirror up-to-date are
small, so the payoff of a private mirror for stable and oldstable is rather
good.

For unstable, it depends.  On a private mirror, you don't have to mirror
what you won't need and you don't even have to keep the mirror up-to-date
daily: as long as you list public mirrors as well as your private mirror
(list your private mirror *first*) on the client's source.list, missing and
outdated packages will be fetched from the public mirrors.   It really
depends on how the mirror will be used.

To ease my DD work, I do keep a private mirror of the binaries for i386 and
amd64 sans debug section (updated three times a week), and a source package
mirror (updated no more than once a week, usually once a month).  Being able
to build chroots and run pbuilder while offline is great.  Having it work
lightning fast fetching from local disk and installing to a tmpfs is a real
timesaver, as well.

So, yes, I think it is worthwhile to keep *partial* private mirrors when
something like apt-proxy won't cut it.

I've found that "debmirror", even if it is currently full of cowebs and in
need of some upstream-style love, really helps building partial mirrors and
keeping them up-to-date.

  Henrique Holschuh