Re: Possibly moving Debian services to a CDN

This one time, at band camp, Simon Paillard said:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 11:07:05PM +0200, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> [..]
> > > * Our (mirrors@d.o) is to have http.d.n made official so that we can have an
> > > instance like on each continent, then use GeoDNS, like security.d.o mirrors, to
> > > achieve 2 goals: avoid SPOF, be closer to users.
> >
> > in long term, i would like to get rid of our GeoDNS setup.
>
> I guess you have a rationale for this ?
> Which issues do you have with GeoDNS ?

The major design problem is that it points you to a mirror that is close
to your DNS server, rather than a mirror that is close to you.  Also, it
doesn't actually point you to the closest mirror, just a mirror on the
same continent as you (unless you're in Africa or Asia, in which case
oh well).  This is sometimes good enough (as is the case for Europe,
and mostly the case for America), but probably not for South America,
where peering arrangements between countries can actually be worse than
links to somewhere further away like the US.

Anyway, I've gotten the sense that this conversation has now completed
the entire Debian pattern of:

"I have an idea that might make things better"
"No!!! You are worse than Hitler"
"I give up"

So I'm probably going to stop posting about it now.

Cheers,