Re: ftpsync test please

Hi,

On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 05:29:13PM -0300, Carlos Carvalho wrote:
> Joerg Jaspert (joerg@debian.org) wrote on 6 May 2012 17:18:
>  >On 12837 March 1977, Carlos Carvalho wrote:
>  >> Joerg Jaspert (joerg@ganneff.de) wrote on 1 May 2012 01:03:
> OK, seems to be easy to do. Please specify the format of the list in
> the trace file.

Basically, the value of Architecture can be defined as:

VALUE := TOKEN{ARCH_LIST} [ARCH_LIST] | ARCH_LIST
ARCH_LIST := ARCH [ARCH_LIST]
TOKEN := "FULL" | "COMMON" | "GUESSED"
ARCH := "amd64" | "i386" | ...

* ftpsync + arch excludes:
Architecture: GUESSED{i386 ...}

* ftpsync mirroring everything:
Architecture: FULL{i386 ... s390x}

* ftpsync mirroring the "common" architectures:
Architecture: COMMON{i386 amd64 armel}

* "common" plus some others:
Architecture: kfreebsd-i386 COMMON{i386 armel amd64} kfreebsd-amd64

The order not relevant. The definition of the tokens is hard-coded,
hence the need of explicitly naming their value.

The difference between "i386 amd64 armel" and "COMMON{i386 amd64 armel}"
is that all it takes to mirror a new common arch in the latter is an
updated ftpsync. In the former case, the configuration needs to be
modified by hand.

>  >>  >And they show which Upstream mirror is used.
>  >> This is not necessary. It can be deduced by the trace files in the
>  >> directory. Further, it may not be easy to do because what's in the
>  >> script variable is not always the upstream host name.
>  >
>  >It can be decuded. Most of the times. Not always.
>
> If all mirrors do the trace it can be deduced. If some don't this is
> the real problem and we shouldn't bother those who do because of
> these...

There are mirrors that only serve over http. You would need to parse
the directory listing to obtain the file names and then send a request
to each file to guarantee a) that you got the name right, and b) to
guarantee the modification date, as not all httpds include the date in
the dir listing.

Btw, this is not just about http.d.n. sending multiple requests
(scanning) or parsing html to find out what a mirror is actually
including or where it is mirroring from, is silly.

It might seem or actually be easy to implement, but it is not
deterministic.

Cheers,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer