rsync for dists/ only

For the Emdebian processing, I need to sync Packages, Release and
Sources files for multiple architectures several times a day but I
don't need or have room for pool/.

I'm trying to use rsync because apt has horrible behaviour when trying
to download Architecture: all, armel, armhf, i386, amd64, mips, mipsel
and powerpc listings at the same time. wget and similar would waste
time downloading the entire file every time.

However, many mirrors complain about use of rsync and every once in a
while, specific mirrors will fail to rsync. I fully understand the
reasons why rsync would normally be a bad idea but I need only the
Packages files (with Release and Sources) in order to be able to
properly verify the checksums of the binary packages being downloaded
for processing.

The other problem is that this is blavet.d.o which is has restricted
access and can't have the normal mirror push even if that could be
restricted to the dists/ subdirectory. Ideally, I'd want to only have
the architectures required, not sparc, *bsd, ia64 or other
architectures which have no relevance to embedded Debian.

I got dozens of failure messages today because ftp.uk.d.o wasn't able
to continue providing rsync for dists/.

I don't want to rely on special support from one specific mirror, the
data I need is on every mirror, I just need to be able to use the
existing mirror fallback techniques to download only the dists/ data
for specific architectures, 6 times a day.

More information on Emdebian processing:
http://wiki.debian.org/EmdebianIntegration

(I've modified the scripts to not need to process packages directly
from incoming.d.o but a lack of reliable mirror support is causing a lot
of failures.)

Any ideas?

--

Neil Williams