Debian GeoDNS now returns european mirrors for Turkish users

Hi all,

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 06:11:55PM +0200, Simon Paillard wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 05:10:08PM +0300, Gokdeniz Karadag wrote:
> > It returns "AS view", I assume this is "Asia" and that explains some of the
> > slowness, connections between Turkey and Asian countries are slow, whereas
> > European connections are way faster. Even US connections may be faster than Asia.
> >
> > Can this be result of using Maxmind GeoIP database, that lists Turkey in Asia,
> > and that represents a very inaccurate network topology. MirrorBrain has
> > manually "fixed" it, we should fix it in debian too.
>
> That's exactly what I feared.
> This will be the subject of a specific request to Debian sysadmins.

FYI, Debian GeoDNS, used for security.debian.org and www.debian.org, now
returns european mirrors instead of Asian ones when the DNS query comes
from Turkish ip.

Turkish Debian users should get faster security updates / Debian website
browsing.