Re: excess secondary CD/DVD image downloading

Hello Josip,

I do not understand what are you mean...

If peoples downloading the DVDs like me, maybe we need them for Off-Line
usage?  Currently I am downloading ALL DVDs and CDs from 4.0r4.

Since there are many  peoples  useing  different  architectures  and  of
course, they can buy the DVD/CD at me...  Of course, they  can  buy  the
DVDs separately...

If you have problems handling the traffic,  maybe  you  should  consider
mirroring the images?

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Am 2008-08-05 22:23:19, schrieb Josip Rodin:
> Hi,
>
> A noticable number of people appear to be hoarding our CD/DVD images.
> More importantly, my mirror server logs show that many people keep
> downloading files past the first image. For example last month I've had 257
> distinct IPs fetching first image files, and yet 95 were also fetching
> second or later image files. 27% of people are supposed to have an actual
> need for other images, even though they have such a quality Internet access
> that they can download CD/DVD image files in the first place? That's really
> unlikely.
>
> This might be attributable to the fact that our warnings against
> over-downloading appear at the end of the intro section on our web pages,
> and some people will always skip over that, sadly.
>
> Maybe we need HEADER.html files in all relevant debian-cd/ directories,
> so that all mirror web servers can display the same warning?
>
> Or even better - move the non-first images to a subdirectory everywhere.
> That way, people would see more clearly that additional images are
> secondary.
>
> (Please Cc: responses to -mirrors, I'm not subscribed to -cd.)

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)