Re: useless mirrors

On Wednesday 29 October 2008 14:26:02 Marco d'Itri wrote:
> I believe we should have a policy of not listing mirrors whose available
> bandwidth is not suitable to provide acceptable service in their area.
>
> One of such examples is debian.dynamica.it: it obviously has a 4 Mbps
> bandwidth limit, less than the typical italian DSL.
> It's not a per-client limit, it has 4 Mbps and that's all.
>
> See for yourself:
>
> wget -O /dev/null
> http://debian.dynamica.it/debian/pool/main/v/vegastrike-data/vegastrike-dat
>a_0.4.3.orig.tar.gz
>
> --
> ciao,
> Marco

If you are really worried about speed then have a look at netselect-apt that
will show you which mirror is fastest for you.

<rant>
At least you get speeds greater then 1Mbps, there are some countries where
4Mbps is the max available speed.
</rant>

<rant part2>
Yes I am annoyed and bitter cause my country is 20 years behind with internet,
and most of our options (that are cheapish) have caps.
</rant part2>
--
Thank you,

Clifford W. Hansen