Re: Secondary CD/DVD Image Downloading

  I am not familiar with the meaning of HEADER.html herein, but if it results
in clearly attracting attention from people seeking an explanation, then I do
agree support is needed for it. If explanatory text is not immediately shown,
then there should be a link that is unmistakable and which leads to full text
of the sort I suggested. It is to be hoped that was clear enough.

  Since explanatory text is rather long, I'd think it best kept to an optional
but unmistakable file. If it is in HEADER.html, then one might hope for a text
line at the top of the directory which states "Please click on HEADER.html for
more information". This assumes HEADER.html isn't immediately displayed.

  Certainly, additional text might be added to the end of an optional text file
or HTML file, to the effect:

  "Please help us to prevent overloaded mirrors from being shut down, by only
downloading what you need. Many Debian mirrors operate with limited budgets."

  The above assumes the use of FTP/HTTP to obtain Debian diskette images, the
overuse of which I presume is a primary source of ire. People do understand a
limited budget, and will often be sympathetic if asked politely. Those people
who simply don't care aren't reachable anyway, so your target is those who do
read the FM or the readme.text file, when available.

  It probably also bears repeating, within FTP/HTTP download explanatory files:

  "If you can, please use a BitTorrent client. Not only does this greatly reduce
technical and financial stress on our voluntary mirrors, downloads will often be
faster."

  It doesn't hurt to repeat messages such as the above, especially at point of
download.

  In a final note, I confess now to also being puzzled by the hint that there is
an additional update of Debian from 4.0r4 to 4.0r4a. Does this mean that it is a
good idea to obtain debian-update-4.0r4-i386-DVD-1.iso, even if the other three,
as mentioned, have been downloaded through FTP, HTTP or (preferably) BitTorrent?
(I refer here to the DVD version; I have no idea what is happening with the CD-R
version, if it is in any way different, which it probably isn't). Is this use of
4.0r4a only a temporary naming glitch which should be ignored? Is 4.0r4 the only
current version?