Re: ftp.xx.debian.org

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 11:44:33PM -0400, Max Ramirez wrote:
>> In the official mirror of Chile, the administrator recently open a
>> forum, but the browser doesn't allow to type directly
>> ftp.cl.debian.org/Foro, instead we have to type
>> http://ftp.cl.debian.org/Foro, which is a little uncomfortable.
>
> $ host ftp.cl.debian.org
> ftp.cl.debian.org is an alias for debian.ciencias.uchile.cl
> => type debian.ciencias.uchile.cl/Foro/ :)
>
>> Why, if debian is distributed by http, ftp and rsync, we mantain the
>> same notation to refeer us to a mirror? Doesn't the correct notation
>> should be xx.debian.org?
>
> That is a good question. The obvious reason of such a name is
> historical, but maybe something like XX.mirror.debian.org would be
> better.

I would like to second this motion. A lot of official mirrors do
acknowledge their sponsors in their front http page, and most ftp.XX.d.o
hits usually go to fancy indexing instead. You could argue a nice
acknowledgment could easily be set up through indexing as well, but still
ftp.XX seems quite unnatural at this point, specially for newcomers to
Debian.

I like the shorter suggestion best, XX.debian.org, because, well, it's
shorter, easier to remember, although either would be better than ftp.XX.

> However that is mandatory to not drop the old name scheme, for
> compatibility reasons.

Certainly, gradually moving to another more sensible scheme doesn't mean
the old scheme needs to be dropped immediately. They could coexist until
the old goes to complete oblivion.

Ricardo