saturation of saens.debian.org (was: debian-mirror.mirror.umn.edu does not allow rsync)

Hi Bob,

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 01:01:58PM -0500, Bob Tanner wrote:
> http://www.debian.org/mirror/list-full#US
>
> Site: ftp.us.debian.org, http.us.debian.org
[..]
> $ dig +short ftp.us.debian.org
> ftp.us.debian.org       A       35.9.37.225
> ftp.us.debian.org       A       128.101.240.212
> ftp.us.debian.org       A       204.152.191.7
>
> $ dig +short -x 128.101.240.212
> debian-mirror.mirror.umn.edu.

Also kwown as saens.debian.org (see http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi )

[..]
> $ rsync 128.101.240.212::
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver]
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(453)
> [receiver=2.6.9]

saens as the only host behind ftp.debian.org (see explanation in the
rsync banner below) has at least its network interface saturated and may
be a bit too limited in number of rsync connections.
http://saens.debian.org/mrtg/

I proposed to remove saens from the ftp.us.d.o round robin :
http://lists.debian.org/debian-mirrors/2007/04/msg00013.html and #49 on
rt.debian.org (ticket not yet declared opened ..).

We advise you to avoid mirroring from saens.debian.org for the moment...

By the way, it is working at the moment :

$ rsync 128.101.240.212::

This site is just another one in a worldwide array of Debian mirrors.
It is not the "primary Debian FTP site" -- it is merely an official
mirror that is in the United States of America.

If you are connecting from outside the USA, please consider using another
official Debian mirror, one that is closer to you. This will likely help
you by speeding up your downloads, and it will help us by lessening the
load on this machine.

Current list of Debian mirrors is at http://www.debian.org/mirror/list

debian          Debian FTP Archive (~93 GB)
debian-all      Debian FTP Archive (All Architectures) (~170 GB)
debian-typical  Debian FTP Archive (Typical Architectures) (~93 GB)
debian-archive  Old Debian FTP Archive (~17 GB)
debian-security Debian Security FTP Archive

Best regards,