Re: !-notation in server list; A delegations

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 12:18:53PM +0100, Bernhard 'elven' Stoeckner wrote:
> Throughout the server list at http://www.debian.org/mirror/list-full, mirrored
> archs were listed in positive notation. However, on newly added
> mirrors, !-notation was used to show exlusion. Non-technical people might
> not "get it" and think those mirrors only archive those archs; in my
> experience, that concept is counter-intuitive to non-techies. Im suggesting
> to use full arch listings for all mirrors.

Maybe you're right concerning the display of archs, but for the moment
the display is what the list contains.

Each entry should match with the policy that the mirror use: if you
exclude arch, it sould mark the exclusion.

An example/issue that is very common in the current list :
1. "Architecture: A B D" while the policy is "excluding C"
2. Architecture E is included in Debian, arch D removed.
3. Given the policy, the mirror will have available archs A B E
4. The entry is no longer consistent, it still tells "A B D"

I don't know exactly the part of admins who use an including or an
excluding policy, but I still presume the largest part is one using the
excluding policy, and that the largest part of mirror entries are
concerned.

We agree on the fact that the list should display data easy to read
The script to be patched is mirror_list.pl :
http://cvs.debian.org/webwml/english/mirror/?root=webwml

> Is it possible to have a subdomain under debian.org A-delegated for unofficial
> mirrors?

I don't know. The domain mirrors.debian.net seems to be used, but I
don't know who manages it.

Regards.