Joey,

Here's an update for my mirror:

Old Site Name: mirror.mcs.anl.gov

Updated entry:
Site: mirror.anl.gov
Aliases: n/a
Type: leaf
Archive-ftp: /pub/debian/
Archive-architecture: alpha amd64 arm hppa i386 ia64 m68k mips mipsel powerpc s390 sparc
Archive-http: /debian/
Mirrors-from: ftp.debian.org
Maintainer: Brian Elliott Finley <finley@anl.gov>, mirror-admin@anl.gov
Country: US United States
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Sponsor: Argonne National Laboratory
http://www.anl.gov/
Comment: This is a complete mirror, connected by Gigabit.

Cheers, -Brian

Thus spake Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org):
A quick look at what Mirrors.masterlist says about mirrors carrying
amd64 finds a lot of probably wrong information:

* 154 mirrors listed as mirroring !amd64, but having all other arches. This is probably wrong for most of them ... it's definitly wrong for the couple I
 spot-checked.
* 69 mirrors listed as mirroring only amd64 and one or two other arches.
 Probably correct for most of them.
* 65 mirrors listed as mirroring some list of archirectures that does
 not include amd64. Such as mirroring only i386. Probably right for many
 and wrong for many others.

Would someone like to go through and fix all this in Mirrors.masterlist?
Bonus points if you fix the archive lists to be accurate for all other
arches too. Super bonus points if you don't do it by hand like I did,
last time I did it. :-)

(In case you're not familier with Mirrors.masterlist, it is here:
http://cvs.debian.org/webwml/english/mirror/Mirrors.masterlist?rev=1.636&root=webwml&view=log
And it controls what mirrors users are shown for their arch in d-i,
amoung other things.)

--
see shy jo

I'm having various problems with the debian archive (http://http.us.debian.org/debian)

For example,
chalcogenide:/etc/apt# apt-get update
Get: 1 http://http.us.debian.org testing Release.gpg [189B]
Hit http://http.us.debian.org testing Release
Get: 2 http://security.debian.org testing/updates Release.gpg [189B]
Get: 3 http://http.us.debian.org testing/main Packages [5180kB]
Hit http://security.debian.org testing/updates Release
Get: 4 http://http.us.debian.org testing/contrib Packages/DiffIndex [10.7kB]
Get: 5 http://http.us.debian.org testing/non-free Packages [52.7kB]
Ign http://security.debian.org testing/updates/main Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://security.debian.org testing/updates/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://security.debian.org testing/updates/non-free Packages/DiffIndex
Get: 6 http://security.debian.org testing/updates/main Packages [3431B]
Get: 7 http://security.debian.org testing/updates/contrib Packages [20B]
Get: 8 http://security.debian.org testing/updates/non-free Packages [20B]
Fetched 14.2kB in 2s (6226B/s)
Failed to fetch http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/binary-amd64/Packages.gz MD5Sum mismatch Failed to fetch http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/non-free/binary-amd64/Packages.gz MD5Sum mismatch
Reading package lists... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://http.us.debian.org testing/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_testing_main_binary-amd64_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory) W: Couldn't stat source package list http://http.us.debian.org testing/non-free Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_testing_non-free_binary-amd64_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

The MD5Sum mismatch is intermittent. Yesterday, after the update, apt simply couldn't find the packages that an upgrade required. Today, I switched to the full mirror at anl. The results were clean but seemed incomplete. I'm running testing (amd64) so I would expect more than two packages to be updated on any given day, yet the only packages that needed upgrade were tasksel and tasksel-data.

So I have three questions:
1. Is the amd64 repository at http.us.debian completely screwed up?
2. If it is, what is the plan to unscrew it?
3. Is the anl-site actually a complete mirror? If so, why does and upgrade there give so few packages in testing?

Art Edwards