md5 sum mismatches and mirror syncs

Failed to fetch
http://ftp.ie.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
MD5Sum mismatch

I am seeing a lot of this stuff lately, and I've been told it's due
to mirror syncs. As our archive grows bigger, the sync takes longer,
so this problem will happen more often in the future.

I wonder why. To me it seems as if a sync is a blind rsync, which
copies the Release index before the individual Packages/Source
indices.

Shouldn't we switch to using/advocating a smarter algorithm like
the one debmirror or anonftpsync use, which is to push new package
files to the archive, then synchronise indices, then delete obsolete
package files?

Or is this already in place? Why then do we see errors like the
above?

`. `'`

"there's someone in my head but it's not me."
                        -- pink floyd, the dark side of the moon, 1972