Debian mirrors news

Hi,

Again, this month's portion of mostly good news about Debian mirrors :)

Our admins successfully fixed up the top-level debian/ mirror machine and
updates resumed normally after about a week, except for a few glitches that
were fixed within another few days. A few weeks after that, the top-level
European mirror relay machine had its hardware replaced (but without
downtime :), and now updates are even faster (some mirrors now average
double digits in MB/s).

The official mirror rotation for the United States, ftp.us.debian.org, has
had some issues lately, as the kernel.org sites and one of the osuosl.org
sites suffered from various problems. But, at the same time, ike.egr.msu.edu
was upgraded to new hardware, and we added another mirror to the rotation,
debian.lcs.mit.edu, so hopefully it all evened out. We'll continue to
monitor this, especially in light of the recent issues with libc6 breaking
IPv4 round-robins.

The official mirror for Australia, ftp.au.debian.org, was switched from
debian.planetmirror.com to mirror.linux.org.au. There's still some fallout
because of this, particularly with ftp.wa.au.d.o, but it's going to be fixed
and we're hoping that this will be a better long-term solution.

Sadly, the official mirror for Hong Kong, ftp.hk.debian.org, is now having
disk space issues, so we're probably going to redirect it or de-list it
unless a solution is found. (Suggestions are welcome.)

We also managed to assign the official mirror for Greece - ftp.gr.debian.org,
because of the wonderful effort of NTUA admins, who beefed up and polished
ftp.ntua.gr so that it is fully fit for the role.

The reminder section this time contains:

* The server at 'ftp.debian.org' is kept mainly for backwards compatibility,
  and it has no particular significance. If you're using it in sources.list
  or as a mirror source, please switch to a per-country mirror address.
  I'm mentioning this now because the following message failed to reach
  this list:
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/12/msg00002.html

* If you're still carrying debian-non-US, but not debian-archive,
  you can freely completely remove debian-non-US.

* To avoid having your mirror break for the users during its updates
  because it mirrors Packages files before all the .deb files are in place,
  please use an up-to-date version of our trusty old anonftpsync script,
  at http://www.debian.org/mirror/anonftpsync

* The discussion list for mirror issues is debian-mirrors@lists.d.o
  For more information see http://lists.debian.org/debian-mirrors/

If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail us.

--
Josip Rodin
mirrors@debian.org