Re: IP-22 Installation Media

Hi

On Tue, Mar 19, 2024 at 10:18:36PM +0000, germ mipseb wrote:
> Hello,
>
>       So far the only *NIX I have been able to boot a rather dated
> miniboot image from debian 4.0 etch on my Silicon Graphics Interactive
> Indy R4600 128mb of ram 8bit Newport graphics. Every other
> installation media has failed. The issue here is that Debian etch is
> only pointing towards the most recent mirrors of Debian (Bookworm /
> Trixie / Sid) and I cannot change the mirrors to anything else. When
> asked on OFTC in #debian-mips I was told to seek advice on the mailing
> list. What would be the easiest way to install Debian on IP-22, IP-30,
> or IP-32?

You will be out of luck. MIPS Big endian support has been dropped after
Debian 8 - So the last release is Jessie. The MIPSel port has been
dropped and replaced with MIPS64el which requires at least a MIPSr2.

This caused most of the Debian/MIPS user not beeing able to run any
Debian/MIPS(el) based stuff anymore as all historic machines like SGI
Indy/Indigo2/O2/O200/O2000, Digital Decstations and Siemens-Nixdorf
RM200/300/400 are all unsupported after Jessie.

Newer hardware/CPUs are not really available in the general market so
Debian/MIPSel is in constant decline for a couple of years.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                                                     f@zz.de