Re: mipsel out-of-memory building dolfinx 0.4.0

On 2022-06-13 10:01, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
On Sun, Jun 12, 2022 at 11:38 PM Drew Parsons <dparsons@debian.org> wrote:

Hi MIPS porters, I need helping with the build of fenics-dolfinx on
mipsel from experimental,
https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/fenics/fenics-dolfinx/-/tree/experimental

It previously built fine, but the latest version 1:0.4.1 has evidently
grown large enough to break on mipsel.

Here is what I used in openvdb:

https://salsa.debian.org/multimedia-team/openvdb/-/blob/master/debian/rules#L28-32

# Disable optimization on mips* because the compiler is running out of memory
# see #847752 / #879636
ifneq (,$(filter $(DEB_BUILD_ARCH_CPU), mips mipsel sh4))
CXXFLAGS:=$(filter-out -O2,$(CXXFLAGS)) --param ggc-min-expand=10 -O1
endif

Thanks Mathieu, I'll try that and see if gc-min-expand helps.

But I'm starting to suspect I have two separate problems. First I need to compile the object files, and running out of memory is the problem there. Fixed by reducing -O (ggc-min-expand might help also).

But after that, there's the problem linking, with "relocation truncated". Am I right to think that's not an issue of available RAM as such, but rather it means the address space required by object files has started to exceed 32-bits?

I'll upload a fenics-dolfinx 1:0.4.1-1exp3 to get the "relocation truncated" error on the buildlog record.

How would we usually manage "relocation truncated" linking errors?

Drew