Re: ns3: FTBFS on mipsel (OOM of the linker)

Martin Quinson <martin.quinson@ens-rennes.fr> 于2020年2月11日周二 下午6:46写道:

> Source: src:ns3
> Version: 3.30+dfsg-3.1
> Severity: serious
> Tag: ftbfs
> Tag: help
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm the maintainer of this package. I'm opening this bug to discuss the issue
> with whom may be interested, and keep track of the discussion.

I am the first maintainer of ns3 and thanks for continue to maintain it.
And I am the mips* porter ...

> The package is currently trying to enter testing to fix 2 (easy) RC bugs, but
> fails to do so because builds fail on mipsel with the following message:

It's due to 2GiB virtual memory limitation.
I am working on figure out a host64 toolchain.

> ------------------------------
> as: out of memory allocating 17107680 bytes after a total of 567459840 bytes
> /tmp/cc23jwIU.s: Assembler messages:
> /tmp/cc23jwIU.s: Fatal error: can't close /<<PKGBUILDDIR>>/ns-3.30/build-
> shared/src/lte/bindings/ns3module.cc.7.o: memory exhausted
> ------------------------------
>
> I tried to reduce the memory consumption with the following chunks in
> debian/rules:
>
> ------------------------------
> ifeq ($(DEB_HOST_GNU_CPU),mipsel)
>   # Drop the debug symbols all together on mipsel to avoid OOM causing FTBFS
>   export DEB_CFLAGS_MAINT_STRIP=-g
>   export DEB_CXXFLAGS_MAINT_STRIP=-g
> endif
> LDFLAGS+=-Wl,--as-needed
>
> # Define CFLAGS and friends to harden the build -- must come any addition to
> these variables
> DPKG_EXPORT_BUILDFLAGS = 1
> include /usr/share/dpkg/buildflags.mk
>
> ifeq ($(DEB_HOST_GNU_CPU),mipsel)
>   # Further reduce the memory consumption on mipsel
>   LDFLAGS += -Wl,--reduce-memory-overheads -Wl,--no-keep-memory
> endif
> -------------------------------
>
> The version that failed on the buildd servers does not have these changes, but
> I tested it on the porterbox. I manually inspected the command-line parameters
> passed to the parser, and it seem to be all right. Compiling without -g and
> linking with the reduce-memory-overheads (unless I'm wrong). But this is not
> sufficient: I get exactly the same error message.
>
> In addition, I don't think that this is a real bug of as. ns-3 is a very large
> library, and upstream is not paying a lot of effort on reducing its size or
> optimizing the linking phase. I don't have any idea of how to fix it myself.

I guess you can drop mipsel support for now,
and maybe some other 32bit ports.

> I guess that I should ask for the removal of the mipsel version of this
> package, but I'm not entirely sure. I'd love to have ns-3 building on

Go ahead.

--
YunQiang Su