Re: Bypassing the 2/3/4GB virtual memory space on 32-bit ports

On Fri, 09 Aug 2019 at 14:31:47 +0200, Ivo De Decker wrote:
> On 8/8/19 10:38 PM, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > This is still a kind of cross-compiler
>
> As you noted, our current policy doesn't allow that.
> The resulting (32-bit) binaries still need to run natively in the build
> environment.

Am I right in thinking that the reason for both these requirements is that
when packages have build-time tests, you want them to be run; and you want
them to be run on real hardware, so that they will not incorrectly pass
(when they would have failed on real hardware) due to flaws in emulation?

> As we
> already stated in the past, we would really prefer if more release
> architectures had some type of automated testing (piuparts,
> autopkgtests, archive rebuilds, etc). Eventually, this will probably
> become a requirement for release architectures.

This seems like a good direction to be going in: not all packages can
be tested realistically at build-time, and expanding that to include
as-installed tests (autopkgtest) can only help to improve coverage.
In particular, relatively simple autopkgtests can often identify bugs of
the form "this package has always been compiled on (for example) mips,
but has never actually worked there, because it crashes on startup".

    smcv