no suitable kernel to install for mips64el?

I'm following instructions below to build  mips64el qemu image.

https://blahcat.github.io/2017/07/14/building-a-debian-stretch-qemu-image-for-mipsel/

However, I failed to do so for various version with different reasons:
  • First off, I can't find Debian9.2 which was what the author used anymore (any pointers?)
  • For current Debian9.9, I got an error at the end of installing base system, saying "there is no suitable kernel to install".  Otherwise installation is fine. However, since there was no kernel installed, I can't find a suitable initrd to boot the image.
  • I also tried other versions, such as buster, an old 2017 stretch, sid.  They all fail pretty early on due to "No kernel module found" error.  See full error message below.
Does anybody have a clue here?  I'm especially worried about the failing in the latest buster release.

BTW, in Debian8.11, there are no mips release at all, it seems.  Are we dropping MIPS somehow?

Cheers.

Jun