Re: linux/unstable failing to build on mips

On 2018-06-29 21:29, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> The latest upload of linux to unstable has failed to build on mips
> several times, with the failure mode being an apparent hang near the
> end of the build process.  (Only one of these failed builds is visible
> on buildd.debian.org now, but I think there were two previous
> attempts.)

That's correct.

> Has there been any attempt to diagnose the hang?  If so, does it seem
> to be due to memory exhaustion and extreme swapping, or a software bug,
> or some other cause?  Why hasn't it happened when building earlier
> versions?

Yes, attempted has been made, but it's something difficult to diagnose,
the machine becoming unresponsive. make seems to leave many processes
hanging, causing extreme swapping, which doesn't work well on the
Octeons which swap over NFS. It seems to work fine on the Octeons which
swap over NFS.

mips being one of the few architectures with a buggy version of make, I
wonder if it's related to #890430 or #890309. I guess it's time to
revert to the make version in testing, which would also greatly improve,
or rather restore, the build time.

> If it's memory exhaustion, are linux and other large packages being
> blacklisted for these build hosts?

In the meantime, I have blacklisted linux on the Octeons swapping over
NFS. It should therefore build fine.

Aurelien