Re: mips fpu hw

On 2016-03-11 19:11, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> It's been a long while that I have been asking on #debian-buildd about some
> mips buildds with a floating point unit, and the answer has always been "it
> will happen soon".
>
> Currently this state of affairs causes some packages to take several *days*
> to build.
>
> So what's the status of this? Is there anything blocking this? Is there no
> modern mips hardware with a fpu, like we used to have?

A first machine with FPU have been installed yesterday in AQL and called
mips-aql-06. It has successfully built packages using floating point
which failed to build before:
- babl is now built in 27 minutes instead of getting killed after 12h
  due to timeout [1]
- chealpix is now built in 10 min instead of getting killed after 12h
  due to timeout [2]
- healpix-cxx is now built in 1h09 instead of getting killed after 78h
  of timeout [3]

In addition it has 4 cores instead of 2 cores on the previous machines,
so it builds package with parallel=n faster:
- samba is now built in 1h23 instead of 2h37 due to the additional
  cores [4].

More machines will be installed later so that we have full buildd
redundancy.

Cheers,
Aurelien

[1] https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=babl&arch=mips