Possible miscompilation issue with floating point operations

[Please Cc me on replies, I'm not subscribed to the list]

Dear mips porters,

I attach a C source code that, when compiled with gcc-5, crashes with
"Illegal instruction" on mips, while it works correctly when compiled
with gcc-4.9 [tested on minkus.debian.org].

The problem looks like a miscompilation (the code only does some basic
floating-point operations), but it was pointed out by Julien Cristau
that it could also be a kernel issue (since floating point instructions
are emulated on Debian mips hardware).

What is your take on this? Should I file a bug against gcc?

Note that the attached program is a reduced testcase for #810357
(crashes of r-base with SIGILL on mips), that was solved by compiling
r-base with gcc-4.9. It may also be related, though this remains to be
verified, to the FTBFS of atlas on mips [0].

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

[0] https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=atlas&arch=mips&ver=3.10.2-9%2Bb1&stamp=1452968364

--
 .''`.    Sébastien Villemot
: :' :    Debian Developer

static void
machar(int *ibeta, int *it, int *irnd, int *ngrd, int *machep, int *negep,
       int *iexp, int *minexp, int *maxexp, double *eps,
       double *epsneg, double *xmin, double *xmax)
{
	volatile double a, b, beta, betain, betah, one,
		t, temp, tempa, temp1, two, y, z, zero;
	int i, itemp, iz, j, k, mx, nxres;

	one = 1;
	two = one+one;
	zero = one-one;

		/* determine ibeta, beta ala malcolm. */

	a = one;
	do {
		a = a + a;
		temp = a + one;
		temp1 = temp - a;
	}
	while(temp1 - one == zero);
	b = one;
	do {
		b = b + b;
		temp = a + b;
		itemp = (int)(temp - a);
	}
	while (itemp == 0);
	*ibeta = itemp;
	beta = *ibeta;

		/* determine it, irnd */

	*it = 0;
	b = one;
	do {
		*it = *it + 1;
		b = b * beta;
		temp = b + one;
		temp1 = temp - b;
	}
	while(temp1 - one == zero);
	*irnd = 0;
	betah = beta / two;
	temp = a + betah;
	if (temp - a != zero)
		*irnd = 1;
	tempa = a + beta;
	temp = tempa + betah;
	if (*irnd == 0 && temp - tempa != zero)
		*irnd = 2;

		/* determine negep, epsneg */

	*negep = *it + 3;
	betain = one / beta;
	a = one;
	for(i=1 ; i<=*negep ; i++)
		a = a * betain;
	b = a;
	for(;;) {
		temp = one - a;
		if (temp - one != zero)
			break;
		a = a * beta;
		*negep = *negep - 1;
	}
	*negep = -*negep;
	*epsneg = a;
	if (*ibeta != 2 && *irnd != 0) {
		a = (a * (one + a)) / two;
		temp = one - a;
		if (temp - one != zero)
			*epsneg = a;
	}

		/* determine machep, eps */

	*machep = -*it - 3;
	a = b;
	for(;;) {
		temp = one + a;
		if (temp - one != zero)
			break;
		a = a * beta;
		*machep = *machep + 1;
	}
	*eps = a;
	temp = tempa + beta * (one + *eps);
	if (*ibeta != 2 && *irnd != 0) {
		a = (a * (one + a)) / two;
		temp = one + a;
		if (temp - one != zero)
			*eps = a;
	}

		/* determine ngrd */

	*ngrd = 0;
	temp = one + *eps;
	if (*irnd == 0 && temp * one - one != zero)
		*ngrd = 1;

	/* determine iexp, minexp, xmin */

	/* loop to determine largest i and k = 2**i such that */
	/*        (1/beta) ** (2**(i)) */
	/* does not underflow. */
	/* exit from loop is signaled by an underflow. */

	i = 0;
	k = 1;
	z = betain;
	t = one + *eps;
	nxres = 0;
	for(;;) {
		y = z;
		z = y * y;

		/* check for underflow here */

		a = z * one;
		temp = z * t;
		if (a+a == zero || fabs(z) >= y)
			break;
		temp1 = temp * betain;
		if (temp1 * beta == z)
			break;
		i = i+1;
		k = k+k;
	}
	if (*ibeta != 10) {
		*iexp = i + 1;
		mx = k + k;
	}
	else {
		/* this segment is for decimal machines only */

		*iexp = 2;
		iz = *ibeta;
		while (k >= iz) {
			iz = iz * *ibeta;
			iexp = iexp + 1;
		}
		mx = iz + iz - 1;
	}
	do {
		/* loop to determine minexp, xmin */
		/* exit from loop is signaled by an underflow */

		*xmin = y;
		y = y * betain;

		/* check for underflow here */

		a = y * one;
		temp = y * t;
		if (a+a == zero || fabs(y) >= *xmin)
			goto L10;
		k = k + 1;
		temp1 = temp * betain;
	}
	while(temp1 * beta != y);
	nxres = 3;
	*xmin = y;
L10:	*minexp = -k;

	/* determine maxexp, xmax */

	if (mx <= k + k - 3 && *ibeta != 10) {
		mx = mx + mx;
		*iexp = *iexp + 1;
	}
	*maxexp = mx + *minexp;

	/* adjust irnd to reflect partial underflow */

	*irnd = *irnd + nxres;

	/* adjust for ieee-style machines */

	if (*irnd == 2 || *irnd == 5)
		*maxexp = *maxexp - 2;

	/* adjust for non-ieee machines with partial underflow */

	if (*irnd == 3 || *irnd == 4)
		*maxexp = *maxexp - *it;

	/* adjust for machines with implicit leading bit in binary */
	/* significand, and machines with radix point at extreme */
	/* right of significand. */

	i = *maxexp + *minexp;
	if (*ibeta == 2 && i == 0)
		*maxexp = *maxexp - 1;
	if (i > 20)
		*maxexp = *maxexp - 1;
	if (a != y)
		*maxexp = *maxexp - 2;
	*xmax = one - *epsneg;
	if (*xmax * one != *xmax)
		*xmax = one - beta * *epsneg;
	*xmax = *xmax / (beta * beta * beta * *xmin);
	i = *maxexp + *minexp + 3;
	if (i>0)
		for(j=1 ; j<=i ; j++) {
			if (*ibeta == 2)
				*xmax = *xmax + *xmax;
			if (*ibeta != 2)
				*xmax = *xmax * beta;
		}
}

int
main(int argc, char **argv)
{
  int ibeta, it, irnd, ngrd, machep, negep,
    iexp, minexp, maxexp;
  double eps, epsneg, xmin, xmax;

  machar(&ibeta, &it, &irnd, &ngrd, &machep, &negep,
       &iexp, &minexp, &maxexp, &eps,
         &epsneg, &xmin, &xmax);

  return 0;
}