Re: propose mips32r2 for mips{,el} and mips64r2 for mips64el in Debian

On 2015-09-04 14:10, YunQiang Su wrote:
> hi, folks,
>
> As all of us may know that the current ISA used for mips{,el} in
> Debian is MIPS II,
> which is quite, quite old, and make all newer devices running in a slow speed.
>
> As the step 0, we have already enable FPXX and no-odd-spreg in gcc-5 by default.
> Build with FPXX and no-odd-spreg, the binary can compatible with both old mips2
> architecture and the future FP64 architecture (aka, with 32 64-bit FPR)[1].
>
> The next step, we will build gcc-5 with the default ISA with mips32r2/mips64r2.

Please note that we should ensure that people can upgrade from jessie to
stretch. It means that libraries from jessie (this targetting the MIPS
II ISA) should be able to work with libraries from stretch. In turn it
means we can switch the ISA to MIPS64R2, but we should still keep using
FPXX for stretch, and switch to FP64 just after.