Re: Bootstrapping a Mips64el chroot

> Actually the packages on mips64el.debian.net is a bit dated at the
> moment, and we are preparing a push to make it up-to-date.

>> Unfortunately this requires a MIPS64 capable CPU, i.e. Loongson3A
>> will work, but Loongson2F not.  Hopefully the porters eventually
>> recompile their repository for MIPSIII.  I don't think that
>> MIPS64-specific instructions add much of a benefit anyways.

> The plan is that we are very probably switch to mips3 for the one
> submit to debian-ports.org, and keep another repository for mips64r2
> capable hardware.

I'm very happy to hear that the mips64el port is progressing.

Moving the port to debian-ports.org will have the added benefit of
mips64el being added to snapshot.debian.org.  In case a transition
temporarily breaks dependencies, making 'debootstrap' impossible, users
will then still be able to point debootstrap to an older snapshot.

About the separate mips64r2 repository: I'd think twice about going to
such efforts.  The packages that are actually performance relevant may
already do run-time CPU detection and have separate code paths depending
on CPU (like fftw) or may install multiple dynamic library versions
where the dynamic linker (or kernel?) selects the best one depending on
CPU (e.g. on wheezy mipsel, there is a -loongson2f package for libc
[1]).

Just tuning the MIPSIII port in that regards may be easier than
maintaingint a mips64r2 port.

cheers,

David

[1] https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/libc6-loongson2f
--
GnuPG public key: http://dvdkhlng.users.sourceforge.net/dk2.gpg
Fingerprint: B63B 6AF2 4EEB F033 46F7  7F1D 935E 6F08 E457 205F