Mips instruction set

Hello,
I am a cs student and we make our own mips processor for learning purposes. However, i would like if my cpu could ( at least theoreticly) run debian-mips. In the installation-how-to are some processors or boards listed which are suported. On the wiki page of linux-mips, even the R2000 is listed as suported. Is it possible to stick with the MIPS1 Instruction set, which is stated as legacy set on wikipedia, or do i have to implement the newer sets?
Regards
Jan