Re: debootstrap and debian-ports

Michael Schmitz dixit:

> your finding that packages from both unstable and unreleased are needed is
> correct (along with the complication that some may not be availabe at any given
> time).

There’s another problem: even in the main Debian archive, “unstable”
is *not* guaranteed to be debootstrap’able, and has regularily been
broken.

Good news for m68k though: eglibc, gcc-4.8 and linux are no longer
in “unreleased”. In fact:

tg@freewrt:~ $ u=/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.de.debian.org_debian-ports_dists_unreleased_main_binary-m68k_Packages
tg@freewrt:~ $ # test idempotency
tg@freewrt:~ $ grep-dctrl -r -P . <$u | diff -u - $u | wc
      0       0       0
tg@freewrt:~ $ # get me all source packages that have packages in unreleased/m68k
tg@freewrt:~ $ grep-dctrl -r -P . -n -s Source:Package <$u | sort -u
atari-bootstrap
atari-fdisk
gcc-4.6
gcj-4.6
glib-networking
gnat-4.6
google-gadgets
libbluray
m68k-vme-tftplilo
m68kboot
mesa
mysql-5.1
vmelilo
webkit

We can group them by:

• architecture-specific packages
	atari-bootstrap
	atari-fdisk
	m68k-vme-tftplilo
	m68kboot
	vmelilo

• architecture-specific patches, packages going away in sid soon anyway
	gcc-4.6
	gcj-4.6
	gnat-4.6
	mysql-5.1		(actually already gone)

• maintainer refuses integrating our patches
	libbluray		(maybe ping again?)
	mesa			(refusal also upstream)

• patches need to be updated against current versions of the packages
	google-gadgets		(waits on webkit/gtk)
	webkit

• “Build without libproxy, for bootstrapping.”
	glib-networking

None of them is, however, strictly needed for debootstrap
(although the architecture-specific packages may be needed
when d-i’ing a system). I read somewhere that Aurélien
regularily creates snapshots of debian-ports – which means
that we can install m68k from these, Right Now™.

deb http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian-snapshot/2013-12-12/ unstable main

This should work. Maybe Aurélien can “freeze” one of these,
if needed?

Back to debootstrap. Yes, it needs support for multiple versions
(already has some, atm) and the unreleased distribution right now.

I guess APT’s ordering (from a given package, always use the
dpkg-numerically largest version, ignoring all dpkg-numerically
smaller versions, period) would work for now, as we don’t have
the arch:all/arch:any mix in the minbase, base or buildd set
much (except libsemanage-common). Everything else needs a very
complicated solver (such as, use an older libsemanage-common
that works with the libsemanage1 version in the archive) and
is out of scope for the sh-based debootstrap.

bye,
//mirabilos (short, caught the flu)
--
<mirabilos>    │ untested