Re: Current and upcoming toolchain changes for jessie

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 01:12:30PM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Am 13.06.2013 16:46, schrieb Steven Chamberlain:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 13/06/13 13:51, Matthias Klose wrote:
> >> GCC 4.8 is now the default on all x86 architectures, and on all ARM
> >> architectures (the latter confirmed by the Debian ARM porters).  I did not get
> >> any feedback from other port maintainers, so unless this does change and port
> >> maintainers get involved with toolchain maintenance, the architectures staying
> >> at 4.6 or 4.7 shouldn't be considered for a successful release (re-)qualification.
> >
> > I trust these are the architectures that are okay so far:
> > | gcc48_archs = amd64 armel armhf arm64 i386 x32 kfreebsd-amd64
> > kfreebsd-i386 hurd-i386
>
> no, they are probably not ok, and there surely are yet undiscovered regressions,
> but at least the ARM porters did agree to address these. Same seems to be true
> for the kfreebsd and hurd porters. They did change GCC defaults usually at the
> same time as this was done for the x86 linux archs.
>
> > So the following would be the architectures for which some response is
> > requested urgently from port maintainers, to confirm they are ready for
> > GCC 4.8 as default:
> >
> > Release arches: ia64 mips mipsel powerpc s390 s390x sparc
> >
> > All the above have built gcc-4.8.1-2 or higher.
>
> and nobody committing to scan the bts for architecture specific issues, nobody
> to prepare test cases, nobody to forward these.

I did report a few mips/mipsel issue to upstream binutils and gcc, and
they have all been solved. I am not aware of any reported mips/mipsel
binutils or gcc-4.{6,7,8} problem reported in the debian BTS, except
#710683, which is recent and I haven't investigated it yet (but is likely
an OOM issue on the buildd).

Could you please provide me a few pointers?

> > Other ports:  alpha hppa* m68k powerpcspe ppc64 sh4* sparc64*
> >
> > * these ports don't appear to have successfully built GCC 4.8 yet.
>
> afaics, alpha, powerpcspe and ppc64 did build.  Note that you cannot trust the
> hppa status, this port is still denied access to ports.debian.org and is kept in
> another place.

hppa porters have ignored my emails during a few years, and then started
to write me during a few more years using an email address that went
to /dev/null, so they never got my answers, and thus never answered me...

This is true that they have recently contacted me through another email
address, but I haven't found time to work on that. Just stay tuned.

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73