I've got an SGI O2, wondering whats the status of debian-mips.

Hi,

I got an O2 from a friend who was into graphics in school.  Turns out it wasn't so easy for him to make use of it, and only when I looked into it did I discover that it isn't really set up for graphics at all. (only has audio I/O card, no expansion ports for video).

So I've wanted to put it to use.  I successfully installed IRIX from the cds included, but I found that I was missing the proprietary CD with the compiling tools, and the pre-compiled IRIX binaries at nekochan were causing segmentation faults.  So i tried out netBSD but the install script broke, and I didn't have any experience with BSDs so I couldn't complete the install.

Just now I got Debian onto it, and while there was still a tricky part with partitioning (totally not automated, and nothing in the official installation manual) where the installer dropped me into an fdisk session without any instructions whatsoever, I was able to google the right way to partition it and the installer was able to continue from that point in an automated fashion.

My first intention is to set up an IRC server.  Later I will like to try compiling on it, though with 128MB of ram it won't be compiling anything complex.

I read on the project main page that systems are used by developers for testing, and a few are available at the moment.  Since I've successfully diverted this from landfill, I figure that if it can be used by debian developers then I'll be putting it to good use and contributing to debian-mips in some small way.  I'm just not sure if there is a need, or if that need can be filled by such a low-spec machine.

Let me know how I can be involved in the mips port!

-Adam