Re: Bind9

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 10:15:27AM -0500, Tony Chesser wrote:
> Has anyone managed to get BIND9 to work with Cobalt?
[...]

Chances are this isn't a MIPS-specific problem, so you might get
better results asking on debian-user instead.

> We usually have < 100 ms ping times to the next gateway (cellular
> data) and we can flirt with a megabit on speed (so the connections
> shouldn't be timing out)
[...]

What about packet loss between your Cobalt and the Internet? Even
small amounts can be crippling to DNS queries, which do lookups via
UDP datagrams and therefore can't distinguish between a lost packet
and an unresponsive name server.

> I get a very large number of SERVFAIL results. I can, sometimes,
> resolve something involving google.com or yahoo.com, but
> slashdot.org or just about anything else gets a SERVFAIL.
[...]

I recommend looking at named's logs first--it may already be trying
to tell you what's wrong.
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); WWW(http://fungi.yuggoth.org/); PGP(43495829);
WHOIS(STANL3-ARIN); SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); FINGER(fungi@yuggoth.org);